Wednesday, April 4, 2012

El Colegio Particular de Cartenga

I never thought I would know what it was like to be famous…But here at El Colegio Particular de Cartenga this is how the receive me…the stares, the smiles, the giggles, the screams, the whispers….Students constantly, I mean constantly, coming up to me kissing me and hugging me. The small ones stand in front of me and just stare and say “hola”. Its amazing how much excitement an American can bring to a place such as Cartagena.

So yesterday was my first day at my school. I met my director and many other teachers, all greeting me with smiles and besos. The principal, a fat man around 65, runs the school. The school is built around a large courtyard where students like to play soccer and hang out. When the bell rings the all gather and line up according to their grade. The principal approaches his podium and commanding the students, “look straight” “feet together” “turn forward”. I couldn’t believe it, I started giggling to the teacher next to me and she told me that for some weird reason he like to run announcements as if the students where in the military. Like a dictator his speech was very slow and direct, taking long pauses in between words. We did are saludos and sang the national anthem and then he introduced me to the school. As I walked to the front I could feel all 800 eyes starring at me and it became awkwardly silent. I greeted them in English, and said thank you for having me. As they marched off to class, I got a tour of the school. I didn’t spend the whole day there because I had to go to Vina del Mar with the school director and my co-teacher for a seminar.



After the meeting we all headed back. On the way home we stopped at the most amazing place and ate Costillar de cerdo, a tradition of Cartagena. I'm not kidding it was the best pig I have ever eating, I will dream about this for rest of my life. Not only did we eat but we all enjoyed wine and beer together. Tipsy and full we headed back to the school. I thought to myself, isn’t this weird we are going back to school tipsy? But of course not. We ran into the principal  and we told him how we enjoyed some wine, and he was loving it. God Chile is awesome and so relaxed. They always want to have a good relaxing time. I thoroughly enjoy this culture of peace and love.
Best thing in the world!
10th graders


Monday was my first day of actual classes. This week I am not doing any teaching but more observing. The students are all so hilarious, and fun. The pedagogy is much different here. The teacher I work with has a very casual and fun relationship with her students. In general the whole student and teacher interaction is much different. They are always kissing and joking and laughing with each other, but not in a foolish way because I noticed that the students show her respect. I seriously love, love the affection they show here. I wish that it wasn’t so unusual as in the states.  I am excited to work with all these wonderful chileanos!

No comments:

Post a Comment